Fort Simpson, Northwest Territories

Fort Simpson (pop. 1,250) is a historic Dehcho community at the junction of the Mackenzie and Liard Rivers, and the base for flights and adventure expeditions into Nahanni National Park Reserve. Fort Simpson, or Liidli Kue (“place where rivers come together”) was used for generations by Dehcho Dene as a meeting site. Europeans first settled in the area in 1803, and the Hudson’s Bay Company established a trading post in 1822.